- 4-5 zucchini
10 oz mozzarella (sliced or grated)
3 tbsp olive oil
20 oz tomato sauce (I used to make my own tomato sauce, but I became lazy and now I buy ready one. I just usually add more freshly chopped oregano and basil to it.)
1/2 cup flour
salt, pepper, oregano, basil
4 tbsp grated Parmesan
Preparation time: 1h (40 min of work, 20 min in the oven)
Calories: 2010 (total), 350 (assuming 6 portions)
- Peel the zucchini and slice it along the longer edge into around 4mm thick pieces.
- Toss the zucchini in the scrambled egg (with pepper and salt) and then in flour.
- Put 1 tbsp of olive oil in the large frying pan, heat it up and add zucchini. Fry it for 2-3 minutes on each side. After it is done (when the fork goes easily into it), place the zucchini onto a parchment paper to drain the excess of olive oil. Continue with frying the other slices of zucchini until all of them are ready.
- Pre-warm the oven to 350F.
- In a large baking dish layer: zucchini, tomato sauce, mozzarella, zucchini, tomato sauce, mozzarella, zucchini, Parmesan cheese.
- Bake parmigina at 350° for 20 minutes, or until thoroughly heated and bubbly. Let stand for 8 to 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
This is how parmigiana looks before it is baked: