Monday, December 15, 2008

Point Tomales Hike

I promised you no posts till Christmas, but I changed my mind :) I managed to accomplish all tasks from my "to-do" list well in advance of time, and thanks to it, I had a nice and relaxing last weekend before the trip home.

On Saturday Anil and I went hiking in Point Reyes National Seashore area. We hiked out-and-back a five-mile long trail leading to Tomales Point, where the Pacific Ocean enters the Tomales Bay. In my opinion, this is one of the most beautiful hikes in the Bay Area. For most of its length it offers great views of the Pacific Ocean on one side and Tomales Bay on the other. Another attraction of the trail are spectacular Tule Elks totally oblivious to the presence of people. There are also plenty of seagulls, cormorants, pelicans and hawks for bird lovers.

Both Anil and I enjoyed the hike a lot, even though it was cold and windy all day long. But at least my good holiday weather karma kicked in at a right moment, and we managed to avoid dark rain clouds heading straight at us from the ocean.


Views to Tomales Bay from the trail:




First encounter with a Tule Elk:


More Tule Elks:






Pelicans:


The end of the trail at Point Tomales:





Oh, and on our way to the trailhead we passed through Inverness, where I spotted this cute house on the water:




Here is a short post from my previous hike at Point Tomales trail.