Monday, August 5, 2013

See America–More Statistics

As a follow up to the previous post about the national parks in the United States that I explored within the last six-and-a-half years I decided to also map all the US states that I visited within last decade (I visited some of the states before I moved to the US).

As of 20131, the United States of America consists of 50 states and one federal district (Washington, D.C.2). So far I have visited 29 out of 51 of these units and I'd love to have the opportunity to visit the remaining 22 states within next several years.

I live in the most populous state (California) and just a month ago I visited the least populous state (Wyoming). This year I was vacationing in the two newest states–Hawaii and Alaska–which were admitted to the Union only in 1959. Alaska is also the largest state by area. Rhode Island is the smallest and–to the best of my knowledge–I haven't set my foot there yet.

Here's a map showing the states I visited (colors have no meaning, they were randomly assigned by the software that generated the map). I hope to color the remaining white spots within next five years but I might have hard time convincing my husband to travel there with me. Maybe it's a trip that I need to take by myself.
US states that I visited are shown in color.


1 On May 15, 2013, non-voting Resident Commissioner of Puerto Rico asked Congress to admit Puerto Rico as the 51st state.
2 The District of Columbia doesn't have full statehood rights, as it was the intention of the Founding Fathers that the United States capital should be at a neutral site.