Friday, August 9, 2013

Mt. Whitney Take Two

Two months ago Anil and I climbed Mt. Whitney, which at 14,505 feet (4,421 m) is the highest peak in the contiguous US. Getting to the Mt. Whitney summit isn't actually that difficult, as it doesn't involve a technical climb, just hiking. Still, not many people reach the summit, defeated either by Whitney's elevation or the length of the hike (it's 22 miles, round trip).

I'm proud to say that not only Anil and I reached the summit without any trouble, but also we didn't feel tired at all or had any pains the next day. It's great to know that our middle-aged bodies are still capable of such physical effort.

In few minutes I'm leaving for another backpacking expedition in the Sierras, which will also culminate in the climb of Mt. Whitney. But this time I'll be hiking over 120 miles, carrying tent, sleeping bag, mattress, food and all other supplies needed for the hike. All of these come to about 44 pounds and my camera weighs another six, so it'll be somewhat tough.

Wish me luck and don't get worried if you don't hear from me for a week or two. I won't have Internet nor phone reception.

Two photos from Mt. Whitney summit that we took in June this year.