Sunday, December 11, 2011

Christmas Eve in the Oasis at the Bottom of Colca Canyon, Day Two

“Dear Parents,

I hope this postcard finds you well. I’m thinking about you warmly and sending you best Christmas wishes, as I’m sipping my cocktail, sitting in an outdoor swimming pool located in a small oasis at the bottom of the deepest canyon in the world. We would have loved to share the Christmas with you, in cold, snow-covered Europe, but, hey, this isn’t too bad either.

Love, Monika and Anil.”


—I sent this postcard to my parents from the bottom of Colca Canyon. It was somewhat mean, I know, but I just couldn’t resist the temptation to brag about our awesome Christmas. The spectacular beauty of the oasis soothed any feelings of remorse associated with being far away from the family. And taking a swim in a pool fed by the water from a natural waterfall is a memory that I’ll cherish for a long time.



In the evening, we all gathered for a Christmas dinner, after which we all shared a traditional Peruvian panettone cake and a bottle or two of wine.


Earlier that day, on the way to Sangalle (the oasis), we passed through the village Cosñirhua, founded in Spanish colonial times.